If you have recently heard about forskolin as a magical means of weight loss and if you want to know what it is, this article contains all you need to know about it. We will also review the best companies making forskolin supplements so you can choose the best one, once you decide to try it. In this article you’ll fine the best forskolin reviews made by our in-office M.D.
What is forskolin:
Forskolin is extracted from the root of the Indian coleus plant. Indian coleus plant belongs to the mint family. It is indigenous to India, Nepal and Thailand. This herbal extract has long been used in the field of medicine for its beneficial effects. Its uses are especially diverse in Ayurvedic Medicine.
Chemically, Forskolin, is a labdane diterpene. It is also known as coleonol. Forskolin contains some unique functional groups, the most important of which is a tetrahydropyran-derived heterocyclic ring.
The basic mechanism of action:
Forskolin acts at the cellular level. It activates an enzyme in the body called adenylyl cyclase. Activation of this enzyme increases the amount of cyclic AMP (cAMP) inside the cells. Think of cAMP as a postman. It takes messages from the cell membranes to the nuclei. For example, when a hormone binds to the surface of a cell, it activates adenylyl cyclase, producing cAMP which takes the message inside the cell to the nucleus, thus eliciting the required response.
This makes cAMP important in eliciting the effects of different hormones in the body. It plays an important role in the release and action of different hormones from the hypothalamus, pituitary and thyroid glands.
This effect of Forskolin is utilised in various scientific experiments. But besides its uses in the laboratory, it has many practical uses as well.
Uses of Forskolin:
Traditionally, Forskolin has had diverse medical uses, especially in Ayurvedic medicine.
- Asthma: It is a popular folk remedy for Asthma. Forskolin relaxes the bronchial smooth muscles thus alleviating the symptoms of Asthma; like wheezing and breathing distress.
- Glaucoma: It decreases the pressure in eyes seen in Glaucoma. Its concomitant beneficial effects on both asthma and glaucoma, makes it an effective remedy for glaucoma patients who cannot tolerate beta blockers because they are asthmatics as well.
- Cardiomyopathy: It was used historically in the patients of cardiomyopathy. Some trials suggest that it does improve the ejection fraction of the heart, improving its function.
- Urinary tract infections (UTIs): It is especially useful in the prevention of recurrent urinary tract infections. Forskolin prevents their recurrence so that the excessive intake of antibiotics can be avoided.
Each use listed above has been subjected to at least some amount of trials and studies, if not a lot.
But the most important and relevant use of forskolin in this modern day and age is its use as a weight loss tool.
Forskolin and its use in weight loss:
One use of Forskolin, and the most important one in this modern day and age, as an effective weight loss agent, has especially emerged forward in the past few years. With 30 percent of the world’s population being overweight, this is a breakthrough scientific finding. Studies and trials have been done, where it is evident that forskolin is an effective tool for weight loss.
How does Forskolin help weight loss?
1. Forskolin increases the metabolic rate of the body.
You must have observed that the same amount of food intake has different effects on different people. Some people stay lean while others get obese while taking the same amount of food and calories. Why is this so? This happens because of the different metabolic rates of different people. Some people have a naturally fast metabolism. They can eat anything without putting on weight. Some people have a slow metabolism, they put on weight even if they don’t consume that many calories.
That’s where Forskolin comes in, it increases the metabolic rate of the body, inducing weight loss. Forskolin increases metabolic rate by increasing the action of hormones in the body (eg thyroxine)
2. The body metabolism also slows down with age. Younger people have a relatively faster metabolic rate. So forskolin also helps those people lose weight, who have become obese with the increasing age.
3. Another important benefit of Forskolin is that it reduces the body fat while preserving the amount of muscle in the body. Because body uses its fat stores to obtain energy and not the muscle mass, and forskolin is just accelerating this natural process, so body fat is lost but muscles are preserved. Muscles are the workhorses of the body, fat is an unwanted guest. Using forskolin, you will lose weight but you won’t lose any strength or energy.
4. Forskolin can also help gain some muscle mass in very lean people. This advantage is attributed to the fact that it increases the testosterone levels in the body. Testosterone is an anabolic hormone that causes the build-up of muscles. This was also proved in a blind trial that forskolin increases the muscle mass of the body.
So in summary, forskolin:
- Causes weight loss.
- Increases the metabolic rate of the body.
- Helps the body to burn the fat faster.
- Preserves the muscle mass of the body.
- It can also help to gain some muscle mass in lean people.
Forskolin supplements reviews:
Different brands providing forskolin supplements include
- Pure natural forskolin slim.
- Wolfson Berg Forskolin 250.
- BioSchwartz Forskolin Weight Loss.
- Zenvita Formulas Forskolin Ultra.
- aSquared Nutrition Forskolin.
- Vitamin Bounty Forskolin Max Strength.
- Vitamin Bounty Forskolin Max Strength.
- BioGanix Pure Forskolin Extract.
- Ebysu Forskolin Extract.
- USA Supplements Forskolin 500 Max.
- California Products Forskolin
- Huntington Labs Forskolin:
Now, let’s review these different brands providing forskolin in the market so you may choose the best one.
The first product on our list is ‘Pure natural forskolin slim’. It is one of the most trustworthy and top-ranked forskolin supplements available on the market.
Its biggest plus point is that it is one hundred percent natural! It is extracted from the roots of the Indian coleus plant. It doesn’t contain any synthetic additives or binders.
Forskolin is a natural product which works on its own, and the makers of this brand believe in it wholly.
Some brands give forskolin with a 10 percent strength, which is the half of the recommended dose so they don’t produce the desired effects. This Pure Natural Forskolin slim comes with a 20 percent forskolin, which is the recommended dose.
All the claims that forskolin makes, like losing fat, maintaining muscle and losing weight are backed by user’s reviews and users experiences. This product is backed by third-party accreditations. If you want to try forskolin out to lose weight, we highly recommend using forskolin from ‘Pure natural forskolin slim’.
2. Wolfson Berg Forskolin 250:
We give this product the second place on our list. It is made by Wolfson Berg, a renowned company. Each capsule contains 250 mg and you have to take 2 capsules daily. It has 20 percent forskolin.
In addition to forskolin, ‘Wolfson Berg Forskolin 250’ also contains brown rice flour and magnesium stearate.
3. BioSchwartz Forskolin Weight Loss:
The third place on our list is occupied by ‘Bioschwartz Forskolin weight loss’. It also has 20 percent forskolin. Bioschwartz is another reputable company. In addition to forskolin, it just contains vegetable cellulose.
Users reviews about this product from Bioschwartz are positive.
4. Zenvita Formulas Forskolin Ultra:
The 4th on our list is the ‘Zenvita Formula Forskolin Ultra’. It is higher dose product. It contains 300 mg per capsule and the forskolin is concentrated to 40 percent rather than the recommended dose of 20 percent. So if you are looking for a higher dose product, it may be the one for you. It contains some stabilisers in addition to the forskolin extract but it is claimed that the stabilisers are vegan-friendly.
Zenvita formulas forskolin Ultra comes in a bigger packing than the rest of the available brands.
5. aSquared Nutrition Forskolin:
5th spot on our list is occupied by the ‘aSquared Nutrition Forskolin’. It has 180 capsules per packing so it is going to last longer, making it easier to buy in bulk form.
But it contains many binders and stabilisers. That’s one drawback of this product. aSquared nutrition forskolin also has 20 percent forskolin.
6. Vitamin Bounty Forskolin Max Strength:
The 6th place on our list is occupied by ‘Vitamin Bounty Forskolin Max Strength’. It is a very pure and natural product. It only contains vegetable cellulose in addition to forskolin. Forskolin by ‘vitamin bounty forskolin max strength’ also contains 20 percent strength concentration.
7. MegathomHealth Forskolin Extract:
‘MegathomHealth Forskolin Extract’ gets the 7th spot on our list. It also has the same concentration (20 percent) of forskolin. Besides forskolin, it just contains rice flour and cellulose. The capsules of MegathomHealth Forskolin Extract are vegetable based.
8. BioGanix Pure Forskolin Extract:
The 8th spot on our list is occupied by ‘BioGanix Pure Forskolin Extract’. It has the same forskolin strength of 20 percent. One bottle of BioGanix Pure Forskolin Extract contains 90 capsules, which are a bit more than the other products available. In addition to forskolin, it just contains rice flour and cellulose.
9. Ebysu Forskolin Extract:
Number 9th on our list is ‘Ebysu Forskolin Extract’. The concentration of forskolin is the same i.e 20 percent.
But Ebysu Forskolin Extract contains some additives and chemicals which other brands don’t have like magnesium stearate and silicon dioxide.
10. USA Supplements Forskolin 500 Max:
Standing on the number 10 on our list is ‘USA Supplements Forskolin 500 Max’. Each capsule contains 250 mg forskolin concentrated to 20 percent strength like almost all the other brands. The figure 500 mentioned in its name just implies that its dose is two capsules daily.
USA Supplements Forskolin 500 Max has a unique twist in it that it contains chlorophyll along with some binders and stabilisers. Although users reviews are mixed about this new twist.
11. California Products Forskolin:
Number 11 on our list is California Products Forskolin. It is a newer smaller company with nothing new in their product. The product also has 20 percent forskolin.
12. Huntington Labs Forskolin:
The last spot on our list is occupied by Huntington Labs Forskolin. Each capsule of Huntington Labs Forskolin contains 250 mg of the same strength forskolin i.e. 20 percent.
But the addition of multiple additives, binders and preservatives makes us give Huntington Labs Forskolin the last spot on our list.
Side effects of forskolin diet pills:
There are no side effects of forskolin diet pills taken orally. They are completely safe. Studies done on forskolin and weight loss didn’t find any harmful effects. No negative effects were found on cholesterol, blood glucose levels and blood pressure.
Side effects of forskolin extract:
Forskolin has some side effects if used as a medicine, via other routes e.g. intravenously. These include
1- Flushing and tachycardia if used via an intravenous route.
2- Stinging of eyes if the extract is put into eyes directly.
3- Cough and Upper respiratory tract irritation if its fumes are inhaled.
Who should be careful while taking forskolin?
1. Hypertensive patients:
Anybody taking blood pressure decreasing medications must be careful as forskolin itself has a blood pressure lowering effect. So the drugs may interact to produce dangerously low blood pressure(hypotension). These include
- Calcium channel blockers (e.g. Verapamil, Diltiazem etc.)
- Beta Blockers (e.g. Carvidelol, lobatelol etc.l
- Methyl dopa
2. Peptic Ulcer Disease patients: Anyone with a stomach or duodenal ulcer or a history of such an ulcer should be very careful while using forskolin.
3. People with an irregular heartbeat (arrhythmias)
4. People with a rapid heartbeat (tachycardia)
5. Pregnant women: No trials of the safety of forskolin in pregnant women is done. So pregnant women must avoid using forskolin for the duration of the pregnancy.
6. Breastfeeding mothers should also avoid it.
7. Heart patients who are using blood thinners or antiplatelet drugs.
8. Patients of polycystic kidney disease should be very careful while using it. Their renal parameters should be in complete control.
To summarize it all, forskolin is a natural product extracted from the roots of the Indian coleus plant. It has traditionally been used in Ayurvedic medicine. But in the modern world, its most important benefit is its effect as a weight loss agent.
It acts at a cellular level, enhancing the effects of different hormones in the body.
It helps in weight loss as it
- Enhances body metabolism
- Helps the body in burning fat
- Preserves the muscle mass of the body
- May also help in some muscle gain in very lean people
Different products are available in the market.
When used in capsule form as a supplement, it has no harmful effects.
4. Davidson’s principles and practice of medicine (22nd edition)
5. Harpers Illustrated biochemistry (30th edition)